- - - - -

Networking 2 windows xp

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2004 - 03:54 PM

Are the Admin passwords identical on both machines?

#42 Guest_Anshul_*

Guest_Anshul_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2004 - 08:14 PM

I kept getting the same error message everytime. I tried changing all sorts of settings on my router and my computer's networkin panel. Me and my friend then came up with the brilliant idea of using FTP to transfer files, since that's all I wanted to do. I setup FTP, which doesn't take a lot of skills. You just need to get a program called ServU, atleast that's what I use, to start a server...and then either ServU or another program called SmartFTP, or Cute FTP :blink: , to transfer files. All of them are compatible with each other, since I use SmartFTP on my Pavillion computer and CuteFTP on the other computer, and it takes only some modest brains :unsure: to work with FTP, and the transfer rate is around 10MB/s. But FTP didn't seem to work either, which i figured out was because my node type on the other computer was unknown. So I followed Ross's advice of changing my Node type to Hybrid on both computers. This solved the problem, I can see both computers on the Workgroup, and now my FTP works fine. I haven't tried the Network Set Up Wizard in WINXP. Before I couldn't see my other computer on the work group, I kept getting the perimission error. Now I can see both my computers on the workgroup. :P :D
So just try changing both node types to Hybrid, and use FTP if u just want to share files.

#43 Guest_Anshul_*

Guest_Anshul_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2004 - 08:18 PM

I kept getting the same error message everytime. I tried changing all sorts of settings on my router and my computer's networkin panel. Me and my friend then came up with the brilliant idea of using FTP to transfer files, since that's all I wanted to do. I setup FTP, which doesn't take a lot of skills. You just need to get a program called ServU, atleast that's what I use, to start a server...and then either ServU or another program called SmartFTP, or Cute FTP :blink: , to transfer files. All of them are compatible with each other, since I use SmartFTP on my Pavillion computer and CuteFTP on the other computer, and it takes only some modest brains :unsure: to work with FTP, and the transfer rate is around 10MB/s. But FTP didn't seem to work either, which i figured out was because my node type on the other computer was unknown. So I followed Matterdaddy.com's advice of changing my Node type to Hybrid on both computers. This solved the problem, I can see both computers on the Workgroup, and now my FTP works fine. I haven't tried the Network Set Up Wizard in WINXP. Before I couldn't see my other computer on the work group, I kept getting the perimission error. Now I can see both my computers on the workgroup. :P :D
So just try changing both node types to Hybrid, and use FTP if u just want to share files.

#44 Guest_rKayd_*

Guest_rKayd_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 04:35 PM

I am having the same problem described here. I tried changing the Node Type on my faulty computer to Hybrid but it didn't change. The registry item is there but when I do an ipconfig it still gives unknown as the node type. I used someone's workaround to manually map to a folder and that worked so that should be enough for now. I still can't read my one computer on the network places though. I can access folders and printers on my desktop from my laptop but not the other way around.

Does anyone have an idea as to why the NodeType in the registry doesn't change the node type to Hybrid? the value is set to 8 (hex). On my laptop there is no registry setting for NodeType but yet it gives Hybrid as the node type in ipconfig.

As soon as I get a certain program disk I plan to reinstall Windows XP on my desktop. It's very possible there are corrupted files on it and that may correct my problems. (Don't take this as a suggestion to fix this problem - I am doing this for other reasons and just hope it will also help this.)

#45 Guest_kc_*

Guest_kc_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2004 - 01:50 PM

Just FYI, I have the same problem with being able to see the computers on the network in the workgroup screen but not being able to access the computers.

Since one of the computers was brand new (and was actually able to share files with my linux machine for awhile) I did a full reinstall of windows xp. Reinstalling windows xp nor restoring to an earlier version did NOT fix the issue.

I am going to try out the fixes outlined above. It is ridiculous that we are hacking our computers just to share files within a small home network. This is something microsoft should be fixing rather than developing longhorn (i take offense to them naming the next os longhorn).

Another FYI, my linux machine (samba) tells me that the SID is not accessible. This sounds like a firewall issue to me. However, as far as I know, the only firewall on my network is the DLink router connected to the internet. I figured this is the only firewall i need. I loath to disable it for any reason.. but Ill give it a shot. I allowed full communications for the ip addresses 192.168.0.100 to 199 (my computers being in that range) but that still didnt fix it.

kc

PS hook em horns.

#46 Guest_oh my god..._*

Guest_oh my god..._*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2004 - 07:17 PM

The carnegie mellon university's solution worked! I love them guys. I am no longer a Longhorn. I am a CMU worshipper. Hah!

Now I am happy and all is good in the world.

Take care! :D

#47 Guest_Steve C_*

Guest_Steve C_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2004 - 07:32 AM

I had this problem with an Acer TravelMate 290LMI (Intel 2100 802.11b on-board), a NetGear WGR614v4 AP/router. I tried everything that a good 6 hours of web searching will yield and in the end it was WPA.

WPA on the Acer screwed things up. I can use WEP and any other kind of security" (MAC restriction, etc.) but as soon as I turn on WPA it all goes pear-shaped and my local connections fail. Internet is fine.

BTW, I had looked for and found all the laterst drivers for the Acer and the AP/Router, tricked up the settings, tried EVERYTHING. It was definitely some kind of WPA issue.

#48 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2004 - 09:15 AM

NetBT is not a registry entry in Win98...If I create the entry will it even be recognized? Does anyone have a 98/ specifiic solution to this problem?

currently my 98 machine says Broadcast and my XP machine says Hybrid and the XP machine is still denied access to the 98 machine's shares...

#49 Guest_larry12275_*

Guest_larry12275_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:08 PM

Disable the built in fire walls fixed mine.

#50 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:39 PM

Having tried just about everything to have a W2000 machine and an XP Pro machine both share files with another XP Pro machine, I finally came across these posts. All machines were already hybrid, but the XP machine I could not access had Zone Alarm on it. Even when I shut down Zone Alarm I could not access it.

So, per a previous post, I uninstalled Zone Alarm and was surprised to see the uninstall process shutting down a process. After the uninstall and reboot, I could "miraculously" access all shared drives on the XP machine.

Thank you!
:D

#51 The_Unknown

The_Unknown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 11:35 AM

no problem

#52 Guest_Tino_*

Guest_Tino_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2004 - 02:16 PM

I just had a problem where I was trying to network two computer both running WinXP Pro, on the desktop it would show both computers, but when trying to access the laptop from the desktop it would say network path not found. On the laptop it wouldn't show any of the computers and say the list of avaliable computers is not available; so what I did is uninstalled my software firewall and replaced it with a hardware one and this solved my problem, all computers are now sharing files between each other.

#53 Guest_Matthew_*

Guest_Matthew_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2004 - 09:11 AM

Hi I am haveing a very similar problem. I have two PCs both running win XP pro sp1 both will all updates installed, net bios enabled etc but from one PC I can see the computer but not acces it I get the all too familar error message "<workgroup> is not accesiable you may not have..." One PC has a netgear wireless PCI card in it the other PC has a network port with a Netgear wireless acces point connected to it, internet sharing is fine tjough any ideas????????????????

#54 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2004 - 07:21 AM

I tried the 'hybrid' thing and on one XP computer it worked but on this one, the main one, the node type still says unknown! They both have XP Pro and I entered '8' on both computers as instructed and restarted. Now I can't access the other computer from this one when I could before so I'm going to put it back.
thanks
Mikeo

#55 Guest_Guest_peter_*

Guest_Guest_peter_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2004 - 04:47 AM

Had same problem, tried the regestry and changed the nodetype from unknown to hybrid and Enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP. The only way I could get it to work was, by enabling the guest account on one of the pc's. What I find strange is that on the other pc the guest account is still disabled, but everything seems to work. I dont know if im talking rubbish now, but as far as I know, it is not recomended to have the guest account enabled for security reasons. Does anyone know of a workaround for this?

Thx Peter

#56 Guest_Guest_Lars_*

Guest_Guest_Lars_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2004 - 11:40 AM

Thank you guys, i found the solution!

for you that still struggle with this problem, go control panel, my network connections, rightclick the LAN connection, click properties, click on the advanced tab, turn OFF firewall on all computers!

Lars :D :lol: :P

#57 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2004 - 01:50 PM

thanks...check the link above to Microsoft!

#58 Guest_Jonathan_*

Guest_Jonathan_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2004 - 09:35 AM

I echo what others have said: There are many reasons why a share may been seen by another machine on a network but still won't be accessible.

In my case, the user "Everyone" was missing from the computer doing the sharing.

Remember that NTFS permissions are more granular and SUPPLEMENT the share permissions. In order to have access to a share, you have to have privileges. But if NTFS is not ALSO giving you access, then you will simply see the share and not the files (and possibly folders) in that share.

In my case, I could see the share, but it appeared to be empty when I accessed it from other computers on my network. This is a tell-tale symptom of INSUFFICIENT NTFS PRIVILEGES on that share. To change those permissions, you have to work with the security tab of the folder(s) being shared--and this is most easily accomplished by actually going the the computer that is hosting the folder.

If you see a share but can't access it, you likely have no firewall issue.

#59 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2004 - 03:33 AM

ok i had this same problem worked on it for about 2 weeks the only thing i came up eith after reaserch on the net was the net bios over tcp thing and this other thing that i did, on both computer uninstall all protocol besides tcp/ip re-do the network for borh pc from the xp cd and reinstall all protocol make sure there is no frewall xp blackice whatever you use and check in the advanced properties that ip filtering isnt blocking any incomming traffic. got mine fixed best of luck hope this helps somone on their journey.

#60 Guest_eric_*

Guest_eric_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:07 PM

i think i found the solution... go to click here

that solved it thnx man